At ZENB, we love beetroot so much that we feature them as one of the hero vegetables for both our Veggie Bites and Veggie Sticks. We also love putting a veggie spin on our favourite foods, so it’s no surprise that we made beetroot the star of this gnocchi dish! You may be used to the potato kind, pillow-like and starchy, great with tomato or a cream-based sauce, but we are willing to bet that if you give it a try - our beetroot ricotta gnocchi with hazelnuts and sage will become your new staple!
PREP TIME: 25 minutes
COOK TIME: 5 minutes
4 small, organic beetroots, cooked, peeled and halved (about 170g)
30g whole milk ricotta cheese
60g cup grated parmesan cheese, plus additional for serving
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
90g flour, divided
30g vegan butter
12 fresh sage leaves
2 tablespoons chopped, toasted hazelnuts
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1. Blend beetroot in food processor until pureed.
2. Combine beetroot with cheeses, zest, salt, and pepper in medium bowl until combined.
3. Slowly add flour until soft dough forms. Add additional flour, 1 tablespoon at a time if dough is sticky.
4. Divide dough into quarters.
5. Roll each quarter into 3/4-inch thick rope on clean surface dusted with flour as needed.
6. Cut each rope into 1-inch pieces.
7. Arrange cut gnocchi on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
8. Boil salted water in large pot on medium-high heat.
9. Add gnocchi to boiling water and cook 1-2 minutes or until gnocchi float. Then drain.
10. Melt butter in a pan on medium heat.
11. Add sage and hazelnuts, stir until butter begins to brown.
12. Transfer gnocchi to butter mixture in pan; toss gently.
13. Serve immediately drizzled with balsamic vinegar and additional parmesan cheese.
Save some time and purchase pre-cooked, organic beetroots in the fruit and vegetable section of a supermarket.
Freeze uncooked, cut gnocchi in a tightly covered container for up to 1 month. Drop frozen gnocchi directly into boiling water to cook.